Why Volunteer for Code for fun?
Code for fun was born from a set of volunteers who wanted to have a broader impact in computer science education for children. The founder, Servane Demol, former computer science engineer felt that the power of being able to program had to be offered widely, as it can be a rewarding skill. Having volunteers with real life experience, sharing their story, is a life changing experience for any student, hungry to learn more.
You do not need to have a strong technical background to help Code for fun in its mission. We’re looking for a variety of people who want to donate their skills and join in the development of this exciting organization.
Volunteering is easy – simply complete an contact us. We will then discuss furthermore and find the best way for you to engage in our projects.
Hear from some of our volunteers:
3 Ways you can get involved
Become an instructor
Teach an after-school class or during a camp. The minimum time commitment 2 hours per week for an after-school class, and 1 full week for a camp.
- no programming experience needed to instruct elementary grades
- scientific background recommended to instruct middle school grades
- background check and TB test required prior to start instructing
Here are the steps for becoming an instructor:
- Choose a location and a curriculum you would like to teach
- Attend the training.
- Get your fingerprinting and TB Test done.
- Start having fun teaching.
- Attend review meetings with your support group.
If you are interested, or have any questions, Contact Us!
All the curriculum are scripted in detail so our instructors can follow them closely.If you have a good sense of pedagogy and a strong technical background, we are in the process of building a set of new curricula that will be used for new after school programs and camps:
- Scratch for beginners
- Story building and game design withScratch
- Product design using coding and craft
- Python for Kids
- Java for Kids (level 1-2-3)
Help Us Expand
If you don't think teaching is for you, or if the time commitment is not convenient but you still want to make Code for fun successful, we have the following needs:
- event planners (fundraising, training events)
- box builders (given a curriculum, assemble all the material that will be necessary for the instructors for all sessions)
- talk to your school district about Code for fun.
- instruct during a free coding session in a library (Hour of Code, mini breaks)
- organize a camp
- IT specialist (maintain computers/build wifi network for camps)
- anything you can offer!
We cannot wait to hear from you! Please fill out a volunteer application linked below.